Monday, March 1, 2010

Scrooged (1988)

Well...here it is...the movie that inspired Facebook profile pic changes and provoked hair jokes for weeks in my homely household. This is classic, late 80's comedy with one-liners and crassness galore. To cut to the chase, we're talking 101 minutes of unharnessed, unadulterated, unabridged Bill Murray, and damn does he know he's good. This is a clear case of A Christmas Carol, but with a raunchy, big-business media co. twist that makes it sing so sweetly. Bill Murray's Costner hair is obscenely bad, and there are definitely some crazy fetus demons and a tv-head. As Murray would say "are you glad to see me or is that a shotgun in your pocket?"

The other star of this shitacular is none other than femme fatale Karen Allen of Raiders fame. I was confused at first because I thought she was Margot Kidder. I mean, seriously, they look exactly alike. But upon imdb inspection, I realized that Richard Donner just has a type. Yowza.

And don't forget performances by my two main men, Michael J. Pollard (aka The Other Tesla) and Bobcat Goldthwait who must be a hissing pussy in the sack. All in all, I would rack this up as another success, albeit it a close call, in the long and lustrous career of Bill Murray. Clearly his awesomeness was the sole reason for the existence and survival of this 80's gem, but you know what they say: party hardy marty!

Final Judgment: "Santas with machine guns?: "Yule love it!"/"The bitch hit me with a toaster!"/A sweet reminder of the simpler, more sexist days of the 1980's.














No comments: