Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Navy Variety Ensemble





Ah, the Israeli Navy Variety Ensemble. The good news about this Hebrew 60's psych meets show tunes album is that it's available online. If you don't feel like sifting through the international clearance bins at your local music retailer, you can just buy the LP online (for about $35) or even the 2004 released CD ($18). Granted, I got mine at Amoeba for $1, but that's the price you pay for convenience I guess. Produced by Hed-Arzi Ltd., Israel, this LP is just what it says. The variety part is especially evident when you see that the dudes and dudettes on the front cover are wearing top hats and waving around umbrellas. All in all, looks like being in the Navy can be boring at times, and this was their way of getting some release. I'll take what I can get and when I can get it. I especially like the style, since the psych/show tunes aspect drives it a little further from what I've heard out of a lot of Israeli military music. Man, I love the military music.

Final Judgment: "Drunk on a boat and looking for some fun."

No comments: